Monday, December 13, 2004

back hoe


everyones aworking, originally uploaded by seamonkeylifeboat.

I think it's a back hoe. Anyway, that's what these folks are. I know we've said it before, but I'll say it again. It's all done by hand folks. These people are in the process of digging what will turn out to be a deep ass hole. The guys hack away with picks and assorted tools and the women load up the dirt and carry it away. Construction workers here may have it worse here in a many ways--toxic chemicals, hellish hours, few safety precautions--but they do get to work with lots of beautiful village women all day long. Funny you don't hear any whistles or cat calls and they all take tea and lunch together. Anyway this whole is now complete. It's about 12-15 feet deep. They are now building a stone retaining wall inside it and then pouring concrete around it to prevent the winery entry drive from sliding onto the lawn in front of the vineyards. It's all there in the picture. Can't you see it? Well it will be fairly soon.

The tasting room is supposed to be finished on the 24th of December and the official opening party(as of now) is January 22nd, 2005. We're going to head to Goa for the holidays, come back and supervise the construction of the lobby and the vintage wine gallery and then head out for a month of travel or so before returning to the good ol' USA.

Which reminds me of a little art project I've started on that I am inviting you all to join me in. Hairier men will likely have the best success. Shortly after George W. was re-elected I began daily collecting my belly button lint. At the end of the year I will divide all the lint into 3 glass containers to separate the red, white and blue lints (the only colors of belly button lint I ever seem to get). I think I'll call it "True American" or something just to prove that you can still be an american through and through even if you don't support Bush. Anyone who wants to join in and start saving their lint should join in. Maybe we could fill a whole room with it? Wouldn't that be exciting.

okay. NEXT!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I've been thinking of saving mine (as some will tell you it's prodigious) for a lint ball for the cat to play with. Your idea is better tho, but mine only seems to come in blueish greenish. I'll save it and let you decide if it's the right hue for your project.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could contribute but I have an "inny-outty" that hardly traps any lint. Makes me wonder what colours I can't collect...

-Mr. Fong

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home